You can trim the head sail using the following quick general tips.
- Watch your telltales – make sure to add telltales if your head sail does not have them
- On a close haul, close reach and up to a beam reach the telltales should be flowing horizontally. This indicates that you have the most appropriate trim
- If the inner telltales are breaking and not flowing horizontally then you should flatten that portion of the head sail (crank the winch to bring the sail in).
- If the outer telltales are breaking and not flowing horizontally then you should create more draft in the head sail (let out the sail)
- Watch differences between lower and upper telltales
- If the upper telltales break and do not flow horizontally generally means you need to bring the fairlead car forward
- If the lower telltales break it generally means you need to bring the fairlead car aft